Thursday, September 17, 2009

Tennyson trumps Twilight

I am back.

I say this triumphantly; it is quite easy to begin to feel as if there is something fundamentally wrong with you during the summer months. These are the months where Twilight trumps Tennyson and you hear more Britney Spears than Beethoven.

However, the fears vanish as I step back on my turf: the classroom, the coffee shop, and the runner’s trails. This is the world where it is expected to consider boycott grocery shopping until they rid their produce section of the excess apostrophe and their signs from “8 items or less” to “8 items or fewer.”The world where Shakespeare and Facebook share working space and where sushi is consider a proper meal. This is where you meet friends that understand your compulsion to re-write an essay until it is PERFECT, and that you really do love to read.

I meet peers at Starbucks in the middle of the afternoon because I can. I question those wiser than me because they are full of knowledge. I utilize the resources around me because they are present for but a season.

I love being back. I love not feeling stupid for my need to learn and grow. I love reaching inside literature and watching the subjectivity of it vanish as I realise what the author was trying to say. I love finding myself in the characters of those that are long gone, but have left their lives inside my anthologies.

I am back to the busyness, the stresses, and noise... and it is wonderful.

I am back!

No comments:

Post a Comment